I recently read an article which stated that women should stop wearing jeans when they are 53. Really?
Most clothing can be worn in good taste if you keep an open mind about what looks good on your body and honor that reality. When I am getting dressed, there are certain elements I always take into consideration.
1. Is it appropriate for the weather and the occasion? My first thought is always, “Am I going to get cold?”
2. Does it suit my personality? Prints and ruffles do not make me happy.
3. Does it suit me physically? For this reason, I will never wear a skirt with no hose and black shoes.
4. How old are the clothes I am about to wear? Even the cut of classics gets updated about every ten years.
5. Quality fit and fabric can make all the difference when combining all those separates I so often wear.
6. Good grooming. If I break a nail, the rest get trimmed to about the same length. If my polish is chipped, I remove it until I find the time for a proper pedicure. Nail polish lasts for about fifteen minutes on my hands, so I gave it up years ago. If my hair gets totally unruly, I get a trim. I am careful not to wear too much makeup or perfume. I don’t see or smell as well as I once did. I don’t want to give anyone a headache or scare small children or pets.
Yesterday our plans included grabbing some lunch, visiting my parents, running a couple of errands, and then attending an open house at my friend’s new antique store in Elizabethton. These are all casual events, the weather was cool, and the sun was shining so I wore dark rinse NYDJ Sheri Slim style jeans, a white tank from Chico’s with a blazer from White House|Black Market in the color they call Russo. The handbag is by Ralph Lauren via 6PM.com last year. The sunglasses are a couple of years old from T.J.Maxx. The ring was a gift from Mr. Mickey. The hoop earrings are so old, I don’t remember where I bought them. The boots are from last year by French Connection.
Mr. Mickey can attest to the fact that for about two months earlier this year, I shopped in no less than twenty stores and many online shopping sites looking for timeless, elegant square scarves. I found one beautiful silk one, but I paid $256 for it. I still have some beautiful silk scarves from my now closed shopping site. If you would like to see what is still avialble, send me an email or leave a comment below.